On July 17th 2016, NOVUS will organize the first-ever annual summit at the United Nations General Assembly Hall to showcase 17 voices of positive change.
As a selected key participant, MALA is honored to be a part of this groundbreaking event.
The Muslim American Leadership Alliance is committed to SDGs ranging from healthcare, gender disparity, and education. Our programs contribute to the the achievement and impact of sustainable development goals.
- Recently, in partnership with the American Muslim Community Services, MALA raised $3500 for the Flint Water Crisis.
- Last year, MALA presented at the 2015 Retail Sustainability Conference in Austin on honor-based violence and gender disparity, both domestically and globally. Sustainable development requires action committed to ensure that gender equality and women’s rights are key to addressing the unfinished business of global development and advancement.
- MALA also presented at the 2015 NGO Conference at the United Nations Headquarters as part of an interactive session on “Helping Each Other Help the World”, which carried the theme “Honoring the Past, Recognizing the Present, Imagining the Future”.
- MALA co-sponsored “Women and Girls: From Adversity to Hope” at the UN CSW, which showcased the personal stories of women around the world who have risen above adversity in their lives to achieve a future of strength and hope for safe and sustainable communities.
- “He Named Me Malala” was shown at the UN Commission on the Status of Women organized by MALA in collaboration with “Students Stand With Malala.” Over 160 people gathered together at the UN Church Center for the screening and panel discussion. The global audience included youth, men and women from all backgrounds, social policy makers, academics, and NGO representatives.
NOVUS Summit will be staged in partnership with UN DESA to support the 17 UN Post 2015 Sustainable Development Goals adopted on September 25th 2015. NOVUS SUMMIT is where technology meets humanity to transform the world.
The Summit will serve as an inter-generational platform to inspire all generations to unite in action for positive humanitarian impact, and find ways to promote the 2030 mandate by sharing stories of transformation and resilience in a highly immersive environment.
The Muslim American Leadership Alliance, which works with the UN community and our major partners to advance sustainable development and gender equality, believes in the urgent need of this work to happen now.